Ontario Railway Stations
Gravenhurst (Muskoka Wharf)
Despite being a small place, Gravenhurst was served by two railway stations for over 75 years.
The Muskoka Wharf spur was built by the Northern Railway of Canada in 1875. The plan was to open up the north and offer both rail service and steamship access to the Muskoka lakes. The Muskoka Wharf station was built by the GTR (later CN) in 1896. Passenger service lasted until 1952. A replica of the station, taken from the original GTR plans, was built at the new Gravenhurst town dock site, an 89-hectare waterfront commercial and tourist area. It is still used as a depot for steamship service.
The Gravenhurst station was built by the GTR in 1919. It replaced an earlier station that was destroyed by fire in 1913. It was used by the Ontario Northland Railway until September 2012. It is currently used as a depot for Northlander buses. It is also home to a small café known as the "Coffee Station."
Both buildings are owned by the town of Gravenhurst.