Nova Scotia Railway Stations
Truro's first station was a small wooden structure built by the Nova Scotia Railway in the late 1850s. In 1872 the NSR was absorbed by the Intercolonial Railway (later CGR and CN). That was followed by an expansive new station that included a dining room and offices for the railway staff. A new roundhouse was built in 1906. The second station lasted until 1911 when it was destroyed by fire.
Truro's third station was massive by anyone's standards. Built of sandstone, the station was close to two blocks long. Besides the CGR (later CN), the station was also home to the Dominion Atlantic Railway (later CPR), which arrived in Truro in 1905. The station lasted until 1972 when it was demolished by CN and replaced with a small, modern structure (not pictured), located in a strip mall. The DAR moved to a smaller freight and passenger facility. The former CN station has been owned by VIA Rail since 1978.