Ontario Railway Stations
The first railway to arrive in Windsor was the Great Western in 1854. Little information is available on the station which was likely built when the railway began operations. The GWR merged with the GTR (later CN) in 1882. Two years after the merger the GTR built a massive new station which was shared with the Wabash Railroad. It stood until 1961 when it was demolished and replaced with a small, modern building which in turn was purchased by VIA Rail. VIA used the station until 2012 when it was replaced with a new structure (not pictured) and then demolished.
In 1890, the CPR built an attractive and well-pictured turreted station. It was only used until the 1920s and demolished sometime in the 1930s.
In 1915 the Michigan Central Railroad (later NYC, Penn Central, Conrail), which owned Canada Southern, built a handsome stone station on Pelletier St. to accommodate the Windsor/Detroit traffic. The CPR, whose yards were located close by, later moved to the MCR building. It remained in use as a station until 1979. Following the collapse of Penn Central, CN purchasd the building from Conrail and used it on and off for railway activities. It was destroyed by fire in 1996. It has been commemmorated by the Station Restaurant which now sits on the old site.
Walkerville, which became part of Windsor in 1935, began as a separate community with a distinct railway history of its own.