Ontario Railway Stations
Riverdale station was located at Queen Street East and De Grassi. It was built by the Grand Trunk Railway (later CN) in 1896 and used until 1932 when passenger traffic was discontinued. It was demolished in 1974.
The St. Clair station, located at St. Clair and Caledonia, was built in 1931. It was was ostensibly a replacement for the Davenport station, that was closed and demolished the following year. More importantly, it was an early initiative by CN to break into the urban commuter market. The station was used by CN, and later by VIA Rail, until 1986. Although it had attained historical recognition, there was little effort taken to protect and preserve it. Sadly it was destroyed by fire in 1997.
The Scarboro station was originally located on the narrow-gauge Toronto and Nipissing Railway (later GTR, CN). It was destroyed by fire in 1960.
The first Sunnyside station was a temporary building, built by the GTR in 1910. It was followed by a permanent station in 1912. Located at the intersection of King Street, Queen Street West and Roncesvalles Avenue, it remained in use until 1971. It was demolished in 1973.
The Weston CN station was built by GTR and located on John Street. south side, east of South Station Street in the former community of Weston. It no longer exists.
The first Weston CPR station was built by the Toronto, Grey and Bruce Railway, in the 1870s. The second station was located on John St. on the north side in the former community of Weston, west of Rosemount Avenue. It was demolished in the 1970s.
The West Toronto CN station was built in 1907 by the Grand Trunk Railway, replacing an earlier station built in the 1850s. It was located on Old Weston Road, south of Davenport. The station was closed in the 1970s and demolished in 1999.
There were a total of three CPR West Toronto stations. According to one article, the first (not pictured) was built around 1884, beyond the Weston Street bridge. It was replaced with a second structure in 1889. The last station, built in 1911, quickly became an important focal point for the community. It was demolished under controversial circumstances in 1982. The demolition was later ruled illegal, leading to the enactment of the Heritage Railway Stations Protection Act in 1986.