Ontario Railway Stations
The Northern Railway of Canada's second station was built in 1861 and located at what is now Spadina and Front Streets. A third station (not pictured) was built in the centre of town in 1867. Known as the City Hall station, it was far more convenient for travelers and quickly became the more popular of the two. The Northern Railway was absorbed by the GTR in 1888.
The Great Western station was built in 1860 and replaced an earlier structure. Following the railway's takeover by the GTR in 1884, it was used as a freight terminal until about 1900. From then on it was used as a wholesale fruit distribution centre until 1952 when it was destroyed by fire.
Toronto's second Union Station was built by the Grand Trunk Railway in 1873. It was extensively enlarged and refurbished in 1893 and dismanteled in 1931.
The present-day Union Station was built in 1920 but did not open until 1927, largely due to beaureaucratic wrangling. Union Station remains in use as a railway station and transportation hub.
The North Toronto CPR station was opened in 1916 and replaced an earlier station that was demolished in the 1920s. It closed in 1930. Since that time it has operated as a liquor and beer outlet. It was restored in 2004.