Ontario Railway Stations
The former CPR station, constructed in 1887, replaced an earlier building built by the Brockville and Ottawa Railway (later CPR) in 1863. The station was used until 1966. It is now home to the Smith's Falls Community Theatre. Smith's Falls was an important divisional point on the CPR. The railway continues to maintain extensive facilities in the town.
The former CN station was built by the Canadian Northern Railway (later CN) in 1912. The turreted style was a departure for the CNoR which was attempting to emulate the local style made popular by the Grand Trunk.
Passenger service ended in 1979. That same year CN applied to close the subdivision and demolish the station. Residents then began a campaign to save the station. They were ultimately successful in negotiating an agreement with CN in 1985. The station has been restored and is now home to the to the Railway Museum of Eastern Ontario.
The VIA Rail flag station remains in use.