Ontario Railway Stations
The first station built in Sarnia was the Great Western in 1858 on the waterfront site to the right of the tracks. In 1882 the GWR was taken over by the GTR, which made some use of the freight terminal (alongside the water) and leased the station to the Detroit River & Lake Erie Railroad (later Pere Marquette). The GTR's main station was located in Point Edward, about three km northeast.
The VIA station in Sarnia was built in 1891 by the GTR, which shifted its base of operations from Point Edward. Also known as the "Tunnel Station," it was part of an innovative plan that included the opening of the St. Clair Tunnel which ran under the river to Port Huron, Michigan. The tunnel was electrified in 1908.
According to recent reports, VIA Rail has plans to expand service in the Sarnia area. The station is a designated heritage structure.
The former CSX station, located at the site of the old GWR yards, was built by the Pere Marquette Railroad, likely in the early 1900s. The PM was absorbed into the Chesapeake & Ohio (now CSX) in the 1940s. The building has been extensively renovated and remains in use by CSX, which continues to maintain limited operations in Canada.
Special thanks to the staff at the city of Sarnia and the Sarnia Historical Society for the additional details on the GWR.