Pere Marquette Railroad Reporting mark: PC
The Pere Marquette Railroad (PM) was an American railroad based in northern Michigan. It was formed in 1900 following the merger of several smaller railroads. The railroad's unusual name came from an early name for the town of Ludington, Michigan, which was originally named for Pere Jacques Marquette, a 17th century French priest and explorer.
By the early 1900s, the Pere Marquette was operating both river ferries and rail service in south-western Ontario. It covered the area from Sarnia on the north to Leamington on the south and extended east as far as St. Thomas with trackage rights up to Niagara Falls. In 1905 it constructed a huge yard at its eastern terminus in St. Thomas. The terminus underwent a major upgrade in 1941.
Unfortunately the Pere Marquette had a troubled financial history. Between 1905 and 1912 it was placed in receivership twice. In 1929 it was sold to the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad. In 1947 it was absorbed by its parent company and ceased to exist.