Ontario Railway Stations
The Midland Railway originated in Port Hope in 1856. It became part of the GTR in 1884. The original Midland station was demolished many years ago.
The CPR station was built in 1913 and dismantled in 1976.
The former CNoR station, built around 1914, is in excellent condition. Ironically it is now occupied by the Ministry of Transportation.
The building occupied by Lent Travel once served as a downtown waiting room for a branch of the Midland Railway (later CN). Its purpose was to provide a convenient stop for passengers in the downtown hotels. The waiting room was used until 1951 when passenger service was discontinued. The side of the building is now decorated with interpretive signage.
The VIA Rail station was built by the GTR around 1857. Although it is technically considered Canada's oldest active station, it is currently unstaffed and locked. The station has heritage status and has been fully restored. Port Hope continues to be served by VIA Rail.