Ontario Railway Stations
The original Grand Trunk station was destroyed by fire in 1916. It was replaced with a far more substantial brick structure built by the GTR (later CN) in 1917. The building has historical designation and is now owned by the city of Orillia.
Information about the former CPR station is confusing. The station was likely built around 1911 when the CPR expanded into Orillia. During 1930s (possibly 1935) it was sold to the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 34. The CPR later moved into the CN building which was used as a union station for many years.
For the last 20 years, the former CN station was home to the Chamber of Commerce. The lease ended in 2015 and ironically the Chamber moved onto the second floor of the Legion Hall. The station continues to be used for provincial services and as the main bus terminal.
Although the legion undoubtedly benefits from the much-needed rental income, their aging building is in need of major and costly repairs. It is not known whether the legion can raise sufficient funds to cover those costs.