Ontario Railway Stations
At one time Kingston had four railway stations. The original CN station (known as the outer station) was built by the GTR in 1856. A "passenger refreshment building" was built in 1895, replacing an earlier wooden structure. The station was closed in 1974 due to changes in the track alignment. It was used commercially for a number of years before being abandoned. In 1996 it was badly damaged by fire. Despite having historical designation, it now sits derelict and in ruins.
Kingston's second CN station (known as the inner station and more commonly as the "Hanley Station") was built by the GTR in 1886. For competitive reasons, it was located on a spur close to the newly opened K&P (later CPR) station. The station remained in use until 1929. It has been attractively renovated and is now a restaurant.
The former CPR station was built by the Kingston and Pembroke Railway (K&P) in 1885. The Bay of Quinte Railway (later CN) had running rights on this line. Service ended in the 1950s. The building has been fully restored and is now used as an information centre.
Kingston's current VIA Rail station was built by CN in 1974. The building has been extensively renovated in VIA's distinctive style.