link image

Ontario Railway Stations

Cornwall

  • Image of Railway Station

    New York and Ottawa Railway

    Publisher: Douglas Studio, Cornwall, ca. 1912

  • Image of Railway Station

    New York and Ottawa Railway

    Source: Cornwall Community Museum, ca. 1957

  • Image of Railway Station

    Grand Trunk Railway

    ca. early 1900s

  • Image of Railway Station

    Canadian National Railway

    Source: Library and Archives Canada, MIKAN ID number 3519385, ca. 1925

  • Image of Railway Station

    Canadian National Railway

    Source: Wikimedia Commons, ca. 1926

  • Image of Railway Station

    VIA Rail

    Photo: © Jeri Danyleyko, 2017

  • Image of Railway Station

    VIA Rail

    Photo: © Jeri Danyleyko, 2017

  • Image of Railway Station

    VIA Rail

    Photo: © Jeri Danyleyko, 2016

  • Image of Railway Station

    VIA Rail

    Photo: © Jeri Danyleyko, 2016

The original CN station was built by the Grand Trunk Railway in 1856. The New York and Ottawa station followed in 1898.

Construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway in the 1950s forced the realignment of the NYO and CN trackage. NYO, by then under serious financial strain, chose to abandon the line rather than take on the costly modifications. Passenger service had ended earlier, in 1954. The line was abandoned in 1957 and the station demolished in the 1960s.

The CN mainline was realigned further north and the station replaced with a modern structure. The old GTR station stood for a few more years, until 1962, when it was demolished. The former CN station remains in use by VIA Rail as a passsenger terminal. A portion of the building is still used by CN. In 1998 it underwent a complete renovation and in 2013, it was automated.

A CPR station (not pictured) was built by the Glengarry and Stormont Railway (later CPR) in 1915. Passenger service ended in 1952. The station was torn down in 1969.