Ontario Railway Stations
Burlington's first station was built by the Great Western Railway in 1855. In 1882 the GWR merged with the Grand Trunk Railway (later CN). Later details on the station are unclear. According to one reference the original GWR station burned the following year and was replaced with a large two-storey station with living quarters for the agent. That station lasted until 1904 when it too met with a fiery demise. In 1906 it was replaced with a new station, best known as the Freeman Station.
Officially the station was known as Burlington Junction and Burlington West. It remained in use by CN and then by VIA Rail until 1988. A period of private ownership followed. In 2005, under the threat of demolition, the building was acquired by the City of Burlington. Much to the pride and joy of the community, the station was relocated and restored. It has recently been reopened as a museum and heritage centre.
Aldershot was two stations over from Burlington on the GWR. No details are available on the first station. The second station was built by the GTR in the early 1900s. It was originally named Waterdown after the street where it was situated. It was renamed Aldershot around 1918 to avoid confusion with the CPR's station in the community of Waterdown which opened in 1912. The station was replaced with a modern building and is currently home to both VIA Rail and GO. Aldershot was absorbed into the City of Burlington in 1962.