New Brunswick Railway Stations
The first railway to arrive in Moncton was the European & North American (E&NA) in 1857. The E&NA became part of the Intercolonial Railway (ICR) in 1871. After being chosen as the new headquarters for the ICR, Moncton underwent a massive expansion with new yards, warehouses, maintenance facilities and a new station.
The new station didn't last long. In 1898 it was replaced with an elegant, new brick station. The old station was converted into a yard office and lasted until 1918 when it was destroyed by fire. The brick station lasted until 1963 when it was demolished. In its place CN erected a new station that was later acquired by VIA Rail. The station was remodeled in VIA's distinctive look and remains in use as both a rail terminal and bus station.