New Brunswick Railway Stations
Miramichi was created in 1995 with the merger of Chatham, Newcastle, and a number of smaller communities and districts including Douglastown, Loggieville, and Nelson.
The Chatham station, built ty the IRC in 1912, was used most recently as a restaurant/pub known as The Rail House for many years. Before that it was a bar known as Choo Choo's. Sadly it was badly damaged by fire in 2018. learn more about the fire
The owners would like to restore the buildng as an historical structure. They are not asking for public funds and instead are prepared to take on the work at their own expsnse.
Unfortunately the municipal politicians are not interested in this generous offer and have consistently refused to issue the necessary permits. Instead, they want the building demolished so they can extend the river dock to accommodate small cruise ships.
Surely there is room for compormise. The former Chatham station is the only remaining railway station on Northumberland County's list of historic buildings. It would be a sad loss if this building disappeared forever.