Manitoba Railway Stations
Winnipeg has had a total of four CPR stations dating back to the 1870s. Little information is available on the first three, however the second and third (both pictured) were substantial buildings befitting Winnipeg's importance as a major railway centre. The fourth station, an elegant Beaux-Arts structure, was built in 1905. After it was opened the third station was demolished and replaced with a classy hotel that lasted until 1966. The last station was used as a passenger terminal until 1978. The station is a designated provincial heritage site and has been fully restored. It is now owned by the Aboriginal Centre of Winnipeg.