The town of Rivers was established in 1908 as a major divisional point on the newly constructed Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. Rivers was named for Sir Charles Rivers Wilson who at the time was president of the Grand Trunk and Grand Trunk Pacific Railways. The first station was opened in September 1908 and lasted until 1917 when it was destroyed by fire. It was replaced that same year. The Grand Trunk Pacific collapsed in 1919. It was taken over by the Canadian government and became part of the newly formed Canadian National Railway (CN). The station has historical status. Efforts are underway to restore it.