Manitoba Railway Stations
Brandon's first CPR station (not pictured) was built in 1882. It was followed by the second station in 1894. The third station, built in 1911, was a handsome, two-storey, beaux arts structure. Now a designated heritage structure, it is home to Westman Immigration Services, a non-profit organization.
The Canadian Northern Railway (later CN) arrived in 1904. Following pressure from city officials, contruction began in 1910 on the elegant Prince Edward Hotel and attached station. Both buildings opened in 1912. The buildings remained in CN's hands until 1955 when they, along with a number of other CN properties, were sold to to T and A Hotels. In 1971 the station was converted to a lounge and renamed the Red Caboose.
The buildings finally closed in 1975 due to serious financial difficulties. In 1977 the city took possession over unpaid taxes. After exploring a number of options for refurbishing the buildings, city officials balked after receiving a quote for the cost of necessary upgrades. In 1980 they made the decision to demolish both structures.
The Great Northern Railway operated in Brandon from 1906 to 1936. Their properties were sold to the CPR after they pulled out. The station lasted until the late 1960s.